February 19, 2009

Procedure Cancelled

Today we were told that, after reviewing this morning's x-ray, the doctor has cancelled the Selective Intubation procedure, due to both lungs now appearing to have Chronic Lung Disease. The plan is for Ambrose to continue receiving nutrition and grow. The nutrition will add more calories, because his body uses more energy than normal to breathe and to fight infection. He will also receive diuretics to eliminate excess fluid from building up in his lungs. Another thing the doctor mentioned was that he will try to decrease the O2 and allow the CO2 to increase a little to make the blood more acidic.

Charles is now down to 1/2 liter of O2. He is done receiving TPN and Lipids and will progress to Dextrose. He is doing well with his feeding and is now up to 13cc every three hours. We will go to the hospital tonight and, hopefully, Gina will have the opportunity to hold him for the first time.

Ambrose is proving to be quite the little fighter. As bad as he's doing, he still continues to throw his arms into the air swinging left and right. Apparently, he's not done yet. He appears to have a few more rounds in him and is refusing to go down without a fight.

We continue praying...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ryan and Gina,
    Ambrose came to my mind at the end of Mass tonight, when we were singing, "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord." That might sound a bit funny...but I was wondering if you had or are able to sing to the boys. I've heard music is beneficial for babies in other ways, so it seems like it couldn't hurt to try. :)
    You are in my prayers,
    Lindsay Brennan