September 22, 2009


Ambrose's hip procedure has been rescheduled for October 6. He has been coughing and very cranky the last couple of days and we decided it was best to postpone the procedure until he is feeling better.

In fact, everyone but Ryan has the same miserable cold, but we've got him surrounded and are closing in on him fast. It's only a matter of time.

Also, Ambrose's reflux has been giving him a lot of trouble lately, and even though he is gaining weight at a good rate, he still vomits frequently and it is cause for concern. The suspicion is that his little tummy is not emptying into his intestines as fast as it should. So he gets too full and empties it in the other direction instead. His Gastroenterologist has prescribed Erythromycin to encourage motility (emptying), if that doesn't seem to work, we'll try another drug, Prevesid, to treat the reflux. He has also ordered a contrast study of Ambrose's stomach to make sure that there is nothing (like the g-tube) blocking the pylorus ("drain").

He's also temporarily rearranged Ambrose's feedings to rule out any allergies: for the next 24 hours, Ambrose will receive only Pedialyte in a slow continuous drip, if he tolerates that, we'll dilute the Pedialyte by half with breast milk on day 2, if that goes well, we'll give him just the milk on day 3, and then add the caloric fortifier (formula) on day 4. Once we rule out any allergies, we can start to work him back toward bolus feeds, lengthening the time in between.

Despite everything he's been through, Ambrose is a strong happy baby.

Thank you, by the way, to Marti and Harriet for the princess bean bag chair. It and John Paul are inseperable.

We recently decided that it is in our best interest that John Paul return to preschool. It was a difficult decision, from a financial standpoint, but the best one for meeting his needs. He is also playing on a soccer team with his cousins (we'll post some video footage soon).

Also, we are looking to buy a larger home fairly soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment